4/18/2008

Stage Name

Posted by ruthie

When I was younger and dreaming of my acting career, I was always trying to figure out what my stage name should be. It's not that I didn't like my name (actually, I never used to be too fond of Ruth. I thought my siblings all had cool names and I got stuck with the boring one. And yes, I do know what Ruth means and who she was in the Bible. That didn't help to a 10 year old), it was more because I didn't think that people would be able to pronounce my last name. That is still the case (just sound it out phonetically. Like we learned to read in kindergarten. Stop being lazy). I don't remember the potentials that went through my mind back then, but I am over that now. A while ago, I decided that I was going to use own good ol', God given name. The entertainment business has grown to be more accepting of "ethnic" names, if you will. No longer must an actor change his or her last name to Smith.

Now my conundrum is what rendition of my name I should go with. I would love to have my middle name in there somehow, but that's 10 letters in itself. I could shorten it, but I don't know.

I was leaning towards...

Ruthie O. Unaegbu.

Other options are Ruth Unaegbu, Ruth O. Unaegbu, Ruthie Unaegbu...

I don't know, but I need something to put on my headshots....

Whatcha think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"just sound it out phonetically" works until you get to the "gb" sound! It's not the easiest to make!

My preference is actually the one you're leaning towards, Ruthie O. Unaegbu. It rolls off the tongue best in my opinion.

ruthie said...

yes, but I'll take OO-NEG-BOO over Winnebago any day.